Add flavor-rich, seasonal spices to your holiday table with these flavorful recipes for a Traditional Turkey Rub, Cranberry Apple Chutney, Butternut
Squash Soup with Thyme Butter and Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes. From the appetizers to the main dish to dessert, flavorful seasonings can make a good recipe great. Find more ideas for spicing up your holiday menu at SpiceIslands.com.Cuisine: holiday
Traditional Turkey Rub
- 2 tsp. Spice Islands Crushed Rosemary
- 1 tsp. Spice Islands Tyume
- 1 tsp. Spice Islands Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Spice Islands Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp. Spice Islands Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- Sea Salt
- Pure Olive Oil
- 1 Turkey (about 15 lbs.)
In small bowl, combine rosemary, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, and cinnamon. Generously add salt and pepper. Lightly coat turkey with oil, if desired. Rub all surfaces of turkey with seasoning. Roast according to package directions.
Cranberry Apple Chutney
- 1 bag (12oz) fresh 0or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 apples, large cored and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. Spice Islands minced ginger
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. Spice Islands ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. Spice Islands ground saigon cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. Spice Islands ground cloves
- 2/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup pecans, chopped
In large saucepan, combine cranberries, water, apples, sugar, onion, raisins, ginger, garlic, salt, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Add corn syrup, vinegar, and pecans. Cook uncovered 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve with roast turkey, pork roast, or baked ham.
Butternut Squash Soup with Thyme Butter
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. Spice Islands ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. Spice Islands cayenne pepper
- 3 lbs. butternut squash about 7 cups, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium cooking apples peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 2 small onions coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (about 14 oz. each) chicken broth divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp. Spice Islands thyme
- 1/2 tsp. Spice Islands garlic powder
Heat oven to 425° F. In large bowl, combine oil, ginger and cayenne pepper. Add squash, apples and onions; toss to coat. Transfer to 15-by-10-inch baking pan. Roast in single layer 35-45 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven.
Working in batches, combine squash mixture and one can chicken broth in blender or food processor; blend until smooth.* Transfer pureed mixture to large saucepan. Stir in remaining chicken broth and water. Bring soup to boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
To make Thyme Butter: Combine butter, thyme and garlic powder until well blended. Spoon onto wax paper and roll into 3-inch log; wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm. To serve, cut butter into thin slices. Ladle hot soup into individual bowls; top each with slice of butter.
*Tip: Puree can be made in advance, covered and refrigerated up to 2 days.
Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes
- 18 2 1/2 inch paper baking cups
- 18 gingersnap cookies
- 12 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp. Spice Islands pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
Heat oven to 325° F. Line muffin tin with paper baking cups. Place 1 cookie in each cup. With electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar, corn starch, and pumpkin pie spice. Add eggs and mix well. Add pumpkin and corn syrup; beat 1 minute. Pour filling into liners, dividing evenly. Bake 30-35 minutes until just set. Chill 1 hour before serving.