Editor’s Note: Kyle & Justin Peek will be speaking at the Nashville Home Decorating + Remodeling Expo, scheduled March 9-11 at the Music City Center.
Whether it’s a backyard paradise or an over-the-top, show-stopper pool, audiences tune into the DIY Network’s hit show, Pool Kings, each week to see what Kyle and Justin Peek have built for lucky homeowners.
Below are Kyle’s answers to some fun and intriguing personal and industry questions. In addition to Pool Kings, Kyle has been featured on HGTV’s Cool Pools and has co-hosted DIY Network’s America’s Most Desperate Landscapes.
1. What’s an easy DIY project homeowners can tackle to improve their space?
It is not too difficult for homeowners to tackle their own outdoor space—it’s amazing what sprucing up your landscaping and adding some outdoor lighting can do!
2. If you had to move to another country, which would you pick and why?
Australia. I absolutely love the water, and there you’re surrounded by it.
3. What’s a common mistake homeowners make when they take on a home improvement project themselves?
Many homeowners are not able to grasp the magnitude of the project they are tackling. It’s easy to have great intentions, but then quickly get in over your head.
4. Fill in the blank: The three things I can’t live without are. . .
3. A good challenge
5. What’s a must-have at any party you’re throwing?
Paper plates! You can’t do without them…
6. What project have you been most proud to work on?
We’ve been fortunate to work on several incredible projects, but there was one where we partnered with the Boys and Girls Club of San Diego that was especially fulfilling.
7. Where do you go online to find inspiration?
My constant go-to sites are Pinterest and Houzz. Both are great resources for inspiration!
8. What decor items are worth splurging on?
From my perspective as a pool builder, outdoor lighting and water features are worth the extra dollars. They’re not always the biggest part of the project, but they both take the outdoor space up a notch.
9. What would you rather upgrade: your closet, bathroom or kitchen?
My outdoor kitchen – does that count?!
10. Which HGTV/DIY Network star would you most like to work with and why?
Chip and Joanna Gaines…because it’s Chip and Joanna Gaines! They seem like they’d be fun to work and hang out with, and I think Justin would have a great time with them as well.
See Pool KIngs’ presentation at 2 p.m. Friday, February 9, and at 6 p.m. Saturday, February 10. For more information visit nashvillehomeandremodelingexpo.com