Beware pf Fly-by-Night Home Repair Businesses

Beware of Fly-by-Night Home Repair Businesses Offering Help with Storm Cleanup

Also, Nashville Codes Department Offers Help, Advice

As Tennesseans cope with repairs and cleanup work following the recent flooding, Secretary of State Tre Hargett warns them to be wary of unlicensed and unregistered businesses offering to provide help. Also, there’s information from the Nashville codes department intended to help those rebuilding. Other advice for deadling with flood damage can be found at

According to Hargett, “Many residents of our state have already suffered substantial losses as a result of the flooding and should not have to deal with additional problems created when repair or cleanup work is improperly or incompletely performed by disreputable business operators.”

Businesses operating in Tennessee are required to register with the Office of the Secretary of State’s Division of Business Services. To find out if a business is properly registered to do business in Tennessee, citizens can call the division at (615) 741-2286. They may also find information about registered businesses online at:

The Nashville Department of Codes & Building Safety has compiled a set of guidelines to assist property owners in their recovery efforts. These guidelines provide helpful information for obtaining permits associated with the repair of flood damaged homes and buildings. In addition to flood repair informaiton, there are guidelines for repair of water heaters exposed to flood waters, guidelines for re-starting water-dmaged heating and cooling equipment, protecting oneself from mold, and more. The information is at

Questions about whether a business is properly licensed may be addressed to the Department of Commerce and Insurance. Consumers can verify the status of a business license by calling 1-800-544-7693 or by e-mailing

Information about business licensing is also available online at:

Questions about insurance issues can be directed to the Department of Commerce and Insurance hotline at 1-800-342-4029. Non-insurance issues can be directed to the department’s consumer affairs hotline at 1-800-342-8385.

“There is no guarantee that businesses that are properly registered and licensed will always do satisfactory work,” Secretary Hargett said. “However, if a business isn’t properly registered and licensed, that is a pretty good reason for a potential customer to look elsewhere for help.”

© Copyright 2022 Nashville House & Home & Garden Magazine - Site by Gearbox Studios

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.