(Culinary.net) Sweets with enhanced fruit flavors are often among the best of the best when it comes to family treats. Fruit can add levels of sweet, tart or even citrus flavor to all kinds of recipes.
From grapefruit to berries and lemons, there are a variety of fruits that can take your delightful desserts to the next level of flavor.
For example, these Baked Lemon Donuts are a unique dessert that can double as a sweet, fruity breakfast. Delicious and packed with lemon zest, they are coated in a lemon-sugar topping for a burst of lemon in every bite.
To make this recipe, start with 2 cups of flour in a mixing bowl. Add sugar, baking powder and salt then whisk everything together.
Then add buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, lemon juice, vanilla extract and lemon zest to the dry ingredients. Stir until all ingredients are combined to form dough.
Use a piping bag or cut a corner off a re-sealable storage bag then pipe the dough into a donut pan and bake at 350 F for 9 minutes.
While the donuts are in the oven, add some lemon zest to a half cup of sugar and mix.
When they are perfectly baked, dip the tops of each one into some melted butter then into a lemon-sugar mixture.
The end result is fluffy little donuts that are filled with light and scrumptious lemon flavor and covered with lemon sugar for a hard-to-resist lemony treat.
Late night or early morning, these donuts can leave you – as well as anyone you choose to share them with – craving “just one more.”
Find more unique recipes at Culinary.net.
Watch video to see how to make this recipe!
Baked Lemon Donuts
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Lemon Sugar Topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add buttermilk, eggs, butter, lemon juice, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Stir until combined.
- Pipe batter into donut pan.
- Bake 9 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- To make topping: In bowl, combine sugar with lemon zest. In separate bowl, place melted butter.
- Place donut face down in melted butter then face down in lemon sugar topping. Repeat with all donuts.